Order of events
The competition consists of a preliminary round (CD/audio file) and three public rounds on the Goll organ of the Protestant Parish Church in Bad Ragaz / Switzerland, on the Metzler organ of the Catholic Parish Church in Gams / Switzerland and the organ in honour of the Liechtenstein composer Josef Gabriel Rheinberger (1839-1901), endowed by the Peter Kaiser (1793-1864) Memorial Foundation, Vaduz, in the Cathedral of St. Florin, Vaduz / Liechtenstein.
After selection from the preliminary round a maximum of 15 competitors will be admitted to the competition.
The competitors will be informed in good time of fixed practice slots for the first round; these are planned for the period 12 – 15 September 2019.
The order in which competitors play for each round will be drawn by lot. The draw for the first round will be on 15 September 2019.
All rounds are open to the public.
Preliminary round (CD/audio file)
- Johann Sebastian Bach: two movements from one of the six Trio Sonatas (the middle movement and one other)
- Josef Gabriel Rheinberger: No. 9 Tema variato from Meditations. Twelve pieces for Organ op. 167
Goll organ in the Protestant Parish Church, Bad Ragaz / Switzerland
- Johann Sebastian Bach, one of the following works:
Prelude and Fugue in D major BWV 532
Fantasie and Fugue in C minor BWV 537
Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 538
Toccata and Fugue in F major BWV 540
Prelude and Fugue in G major BWV 541
Fantasie and Fugue in G minor BWV 542
Prelude and Fugue in A minor BWV 543
Prelude and Fugue in B minor BWV 544
Prelude and Fugue in E minor BWV 548
Prelude and Fugue in G major BWV 550
Prelude and Fugue in E major BWV 566
Passacaglia in C minor BWV 582
Concerto in A minor BWV 593
Concerto in D minor BWV 596
- Josef Gabriel Rheinberger: no. 6 Aria or no. 7 Intermezzo from Meditations. Twelve pieces for Organ op. 167
- Max Reger: Kanzonetta in A minor op. 47/3 or Canzonetta in G minor op. 80/3
- Gerard Bunk: no. 8 Allelujah in B flat major from Acht Charakterstücke [8 character pieces] op. 54
Metzler organ in the Catholic Parish Church, Gams / Switzerland
- Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy: Prelude and Fugue in C minor op. 37/1
- Works from the German Romantic period – own choice (approx. 30 minutes, but no works from the other rounds of the competition)
Organ in honour of the Liechtenstein composer Josef Gabriel Rheinberger (1839-1901), endowed by the Peter Kaiser (1793-1864) Memorial Foundation, Vaduz, in the Cathedral of St. Florin, Vaduz / Liechtenstein
- Josef Gabriel Rheinberger: one organ sonata (own choice)
- A major organ work by Gerard Bunk, Sigfrid Karg-Elert, Max Reger, August Gottfried Ritter or Philipp Wolfrum
Overall playing time for Round 3 should not exceed 55 minutes (no works from the other rounds of the competition).
At 8 p.m. on 21 September, a public concert will be held in Vaduz Cathedral, where the prizewinners will perform works from the complete competition repertoire. The selection of works will be made by the organisers after the 3rd round is finished. This concert is an integral part of the competition, and unpaid participation by all prizewinners is compulsory.